Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Essay Plan

Hello all,
just thought I’d post a structured plan of my social competence essay in numerical order to get my ideas out in the open.
-Abstract
1. Definitions of social competence
2. Origins
3. Prevalence
4. Statistics
5. Skills, attitudes and behaviours that are exhibited by socially competent people
6. Is it a learned phenomenon?
7. Nature vs. nurture
8. To what extent is it innate?
9. Methods and interventions that are available in training people to increase and improve their social skills to enhance social competence.
-Conclusion
-Reference list
-Appendices

There is a considerable amount of research to include so I think I’ll have to divide my word count up between the listed paragraphs. Any comments or improvements you would like to add would be great.

Thanks,
Jacqui :-)

3 comments:

beck1411 said...

Hey Jac,

Your plan looks good and you can tell you have looked at a lot of research as there appears to be so much you are going to cover. I'm not sure if it is totally related but i was looking at some info on cultural competance for my blog and wasn't sure if you had come across much on that in your readings???
I haven't a lot of info as yet basic definition is here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_competence
Not sure if it is of any help because you seem to be covering a lot already. i'd be interested to know if you have found any good onfo on it though
Good Luck
Beck xx =)

James Neill said...

Hi Jacqui,

Just looking over this and back at the question, I'm thinking that I'd suggest making sure your structure answers the question - perhaps even by structuring the essay accordingly. i.e., there seem to be 3 parts:
1. What is SC?
2. To what extent is it innate or learned?
3. How can it be trained?

If you combine these three sections with the marking criteria, then you should try to cover useful theory/research for each part.

This may mean using exactly the material you are already using, but is just a suggestion to help you make sure you have a solid essay which answers the question and fits the marking criteria.

Hope this helps.

Sam Faulks said...

Hi Jac,

Thanks for your comment on my blog. A problem that i'm facing and by the sounds of things you may also be facing is the amount of useful research out there and trying to incorporate it all into a short blog is going to be challenging!

Your essay plan seems very substantial and it looks as though you have done a great deal of research for your topic, good work!

I voted on your poll that I thought all of the above contributed to social competence.

Good luck with getting it finished and see you soon.

Cheers

Sam